Thursday, January 14, 2016

Book Review # 6 - Stephen King - "The Shining"

"Who reads nowadays?" I've heard this countless times and from many different people. I'm proud to say that I LOVE TO READ! Growing up I was always to book worm and the girl who loved going to class (not really in middle school or high school but, in college lol). But within this past year I went through times where I wouldn't read at all to reading whenever I had the chance to. I enjoy going to the library or Barnes & Noble and just being around books. I truly am happy around new books, old books, and used books. Anyways, let's get back on track.

This was the first book from Stephen King that I was able to sit down and actually finish. Years ago I attempted to read Cujo and that did not end well. I found it too boring and it couldn't sit through it. Years later I decided to give Stephen King another chance and I picked up The Shining. I heard very good reviews of this book as well as the movie. I never saw the movie but I want to, but first I need to read the book. 

I became addicted to this book from the first chapter I read. I literally read the book whenever I had the chance to, which was on the train heading to and from work. I finished this book in no time. I became drawn to Jack Torence's character and watching him evolve from a family man to a crazed psychopath. I have to admit that in the beginning I was skeptical about the whole "shine" idea. Either way this did not stop me from reading and completing this book. 

The plot is basically about the family that moves into a hotel due to the fact Jack Torrance, the husband and father to Wendy and Danny Torrance, lost his job as a teacher and was in desperate need of a job. This was their last shot at finding something, so what any other family would do would be to move and start as soon as they can. Daniel, the only child with special powers, he knew from the start that something was not right with the hotel. He didn't say anything because he knew his dad wanted this job and it was the only source of income for the family.
As you get further into the book you begin to slowly see the change within each character. This was one of the reasons why I continued to read this. Stephen King did not fail to keep my attention and he even made me want to read his other books. I almost forgot to add that at the end of the book I found out that there is another book that follows up on Danny.

I would have to rate this book a 4 out of 5. I seriously did enjoy this book and I do plan on reading Doctor Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment