Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Book Review - "Burned" - Ellen Hopkins

Genre – Young adult 
Publishing Date – October 23, 2007
Page count – 544 pages
Source – owned copy
Format – paperback
Standalone/Series – series
Rating - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

      I haven't read any of Ellen Hopkins's work in many years, probably since freshman year of high school. From what I remembered, I wasn't too impressed or two invested in any of her work. I'm not saying she's a bad author, it's the opposite. She's very talented and she sure knows how to write a relatable story. Reading Burned brought back many memories high school memories. 

      "Burned is the story of a young woman, struggling to find her place in the world in the face of abuse by the person she most adores: her father. She questions her family, her faith, and her ability to love and be loved.
Suspended from school, she is sent to rural Nevada to live with an aunt whom she barely knows. There she finds love, acceptance and new knowledge about the things that have made her father like he is. But even there, her demons find her. "
      When I started to read Burned I had already started a new job so I became very busy and tired and I didn't have time to read much anymore. My old job I had to take a train to get to work unlike my current job, which is walking distance. I used to read on the train to and from work which made it easier to complete my monthly TBR and my yearly reading goal. But since I walk to work everyday I don't get the luxury of reading on my way to work. But I do try and read on my lunch break.
      So on my lunch I would become very invested in learning more and understanding Pattyn's life and her decisions. I became emotionally attached to her because of the things she has gone through in her life. I don't know what's it like to have a father like that (thankfully) but being a writer I was able to put myself in her shoes without actually going through what she has gone through. 
      My favorite thing about Ellen Hopkins's books is her writing style. I love poetry and I'm also a poet/writer. I love how she tells a story through poetry. Each page is a poem and they're never the same (layout wise). It's a pretty massive looking book but inside it's not as intimidating. I can't explain it, you'd have to read it yourself. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves poetry and a moving story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment