Friday, July 15, 2016

Book Review - "Loss of Reason" -

      For several of my previous and future blog posts will be from authors that sent me their work. In this case I was sent two books by a company, Full of Books. I stumbled onto their Instagram and I liked their account so I checked out their website. I saw that they had a section for writers, so being curious I clicked it. It was a submission section; reading more into it, they were accepting writers for their blog! I was super excited but scared at the same time. I didnt know if I would qualify for the position, but I applied anyways. I don't remember if it was a day or two later, I received an email from Full of Books saying congratulations. I was so happy and to add to that they were going to send me books to review. Now for all of you that do know me or even have read my past posts, I love books and getting books the author or company their selves. They sent me a list of books that I could chose from and from the list I chose "Loss of Reason" by Miles A. Maxwell and "Hell is Empty and All the Devils Are Here" by Mark Rounds. To make things even better, one  was signed.
      I didnt know which one to start first, so I just went for the smaller book and save the larger book for last. So it was "Loss of Reason" was going to be my first read. I grabbed this book while I was on the train and I do enjoy reading on the way to work or elsewhere. So with an open mind I started to read. I had to re-read the first two pages and I couldn't get into the book. I don't know if it was me or just because I could not get into the book. It wasn't that the book was boring or horribly written, I just don't know why I couldn't get into the book. Maybe it was because I've been in a reading slump? Maybe I was just really tired ? I don't know what it was.
      I wasn't going to give up so quickly, so I put away the book and tired another time. I was so determined to finish the book and write this review. I picked it up and started to read. Then it hit me…. again! I just couldn't get into the book. I have beat myself up about not finished books I started but I couldn't get myself to finish it. I believe that it was too much going on at once and too many people all at once in the beginning. I thought the characters weren't introduced properly and I got confused often. The book was interesting, well at least the plot was. But the way it was executed was done poorly.
      When I write reviews I hate when it's a negative review. On top of writing negative reviews, I hate not finishing books I started. This was very disappointing for me. I feel bad for just writing this right now. But I have to be honest and give MY opinion of the book. I wouldn't recommend this book to my family or close friends but I would recommend it to my friend at work, maybe he'd like this book. I gave it two chances and I couldn't get into it and I'm sorry about that.
      For the rating, I'd have to give it 2 out of 5 stars. From what I read I believe that this deserves the rating I gave it. I just want to thank Full of Books for sending me these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment